As you can imagine, I wanted to set these jeans on fire after the Great Zipper Disaster of 2013. That was NOT FUN.
|No serger, but this works for me!|
So I sucked it up, and found a couple of tutorials I liked for replacing broken jeans zippers. I ended up using the Threads one, because I decided against a button fly.
|Underlap side - machine sewn with topstitching thread|
|Overlap side - super awesome hand backstitches. Well, they'll do the job.|
|"Making it work" - the top kept poking out because it wasn't sewn into the waistband.|
Anyway, I think we can now call this a modest success. The jeans fit as well as any I've ever had, and next time I'll have a go at removing the gaposis. The only change I've made is that I made the pattern two sizes bigger than last time... because I realised that the denim I'm using is nowhere near 20% stretch. It's more like 5-10%, which means it essentially behaves as a non-stretch but is less likely to burst open at the thighs!