The Melissa shirt was an attempt to simplify - I love my Vogue princess seam shirt, but I also love the streamlined look of 'menswear' shirts. It's cotton-linen, which is perfect for summer. I spent a lot of time shrinking and ironing this, so I think it will be fine. As per the suggestion from clothingengineer, I took off about 1.5" from the cuff length. It looks about right to me now.
I used the Fit For Real People method to add 4" across the bust, and I rotated some of the (now) massive dart into a second armhole dart. This is the first time I've successfully used this method to alter a pattern, and frankly I should have added another inch and lowered the bust point a bit more. I could also have rotated the fabric into a vertical dart... but this would not suit the style I wanted this shirt to have.
|Look, no sway back!|
This shirt is not a perfect fit, but as with Vogue 8747, it's 'good enough'. I feel like I now have two shirt patterns I can rely on!
It's taken me a month from finishing my first (of three, so far) Linda pants and blogging about them. They just felt like old faithfuls from day one - didn't seem to need a post. But here you are.
They fit exactly as the measurements indicate. I used a stretch bengaline, which is easily available from Spotlight (albeit at $16/m). My size uses about 1.8m of fabric. Stretch bengaline is a heavy-weight polyester woven, with a lot of stretch and perfect recovery. These pants will last FOREVER. And I'm now down to sewing these in 90 minutes, including seam finishes and with no overlocker.
Basically, these are the perfect work pants. They also have AN ELASTIC WAIST. Now, I would never buy elastic waist pants in a store. Especially not to wear to work. But through some kind of incredible sorcery, these look like regular dress pants when worn under a sufficiently long shirt.
The length is fine for flats or low heels (with my 5'6" stature). They'd work fine in a ponte as well, or fleece to make lounge/pyjama pants.