Yes! I've done it! I've sewed jeans AND THEY WORKED. That last part is the most important bit, obviously.
|No hair and makeup on weekends for me, thanks|
Also, my non-sewing friends who are my cheerleaders! You guys are great too. My new workmate spent quite a bit of time staring at my crotch and my butt to make sure my not-jeans were an appropriate template for the real jeans! (she volunteered to do that, I didn't ask her to. That would have been awkward)
Now, to the actual pants.
I ordered Rock and Republic denim from Lura's Fabric Shop. Each pair of jeans took about 1.75 yards. This is a heavier weight of stretch denim than I have been able to find in NZ. It's similar in weight to my sturdier Levis. While the shipping cost more than the fabric, I estimate that each pair of jeans uses about NZ$25 of denim, INCLUDING the shipping. Can't even get crappy jeans from The Warehouse for that price!
I made a couple of very minor changes to the pattern. I folded the leg pieces in a straight line from the knee down. The first pair were *very* bootlegged - I don't mind that, but I wanted this particular version to have straight legs. The ankle circumference is close to 4" less. It worked exactly as I wanted it to!
|I'm not this foreshortened in real life. Chris is very tall.|
|Sooooo much topstitching|
Actually, I hope that sentence leads to Google searches for my blog. "Zig-zagging inside of my pants". I like it.
|Sorry about the shadow of Chris's head. I'm getting a tripod soon.|