On an unrelated note, oven-baked kumara fries are a delicious winter food. Here is how you make them:
- Scrub the kumara, and chop off any funny looking parts or growths;
- Leave the rest of the skin on;
- Chop it into fries about 1cm x 1cm;
- Spray some oil on a tray;
- Place a layer of kumara fries;
- Spray again with some oil.
Cook at 200°C for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. Kumara is less dense than potato, so you don't need to pre-cook.
All you need is a little salt, sumac, or sauce to serve. Freakin' awesome.
I'd show you a picture, but we ate them all!