But please, take it easy on the road over the Christmas break. I've seen some awful, awful crashes in my job - I won't post photos, you can use your imagination. But please have a think about the following:
- Crashes aren't 'accidents'. Almost every crash happens because someone driving a vehicle makes a stupid choice.
- Speeding is a choice. Seeing as though you aren't going to get fired for taking too long to reach your holiday destination, what's the rush? Chill out and enjoy the journey.
- Driving under the influence is a choice. Plan ahead. Maybe staying overnight at a motel is cheaper than a taxi home. Maybe you can share being a sober driver with other people over the holiday period. Maybe if you can't make good choices, you shouldn't go to the party in the first place.
- Driving when you are sleepy is a choice. Have a rest. Share the driving. Sleep on the back seat for a few hours.
- Check your car before you go. Make sure your tyres have plenty of tread. Carry a bottle of water for top ups. Don't drive faster than 80kph on a space-saver wheel, and replace it with a full-size one ASAP.
Remember that for every crash:
- At least one family is devastated.
- Emergency services are human too. It's appalling to have to deal with an entirely preventable fatality or serious injury.
- Engineers, police, and ambos don't want to spend their Christmas period doing a line search for pieces of you on the side of the highway (believe me, this does happen).
- You want to have a good holiday, not an excruciating or devastating one.
- Even a minor crash could take your vehicle (or yourself) out of service for a long time.
Be safe, and have a WONDERFUL holiday period :-) It's not my aim to depress you... I just want everyone to be in one piece for 2011!